Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The path

Yesterday I went in and applied at the Beauty College, signed up for both nail technician and esthetics.   I need to be accepted before I can actually start taking classes, but they said a few girls were graduating soon so I should be good. ^^ The night before I realized that I can't very well apply to be a nail technician without at least doing my nails.   Though they are looking horribly short I still needed something. 





Base; Wet n Wild Craze in Morbid.  Dots are done with China Glaze in Millennium stamped using Konad m45, stripe done with L.A. Colors Art Deco in Silver.  Both polishes are opaque in 1 application.   Base coat used Sally Hanson Hard as Nails, top coat used Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat.

I don't wear make-up on a regular every day basis.  However, I have been wearing more lately and I thought that if I was doing my nails so I could apply to schooling for a nail technician, that if I was also applying for esthetics I should probably do my make-up as well!   Unfortunately I couldn't color coordinate my top and make-up since most pinks wash me out if I'm not balancing it with a black eyeshadow I went with purple.  Claire's Poptimistic set in the light and dark purple.  I've never used any of Claire's other eyeshadow palettes so I can't speak to those.  But I got this set of 10 eyeshadows for $6 and it's some of the most pigmented eyeshadow I've ever owned.  Granted, I don't spend much on make-up so interpret how you will, but for $6 and some great colors it's a deal you can't beat.  One of these days I'll have to review the other colors.  [black, white, light and dark purple, lime green, dark pink, a muted pink, a dark and light blue and a torquise.]

When deciding to take this plunge I had originally only decided on nail technician.  However to get a certificate in esthetics was only $1000 more in tuition and I imagine is something that will benefit me later on so why not?  I had a vague idea of what it included, specifically I thought it had to do with the application of make-up.   While that is it, it's quite a bit more than I expected or planned on doing.  Now that I've signed up for it though why not?

"Estheticians, also called skin care therapists, work at salons, day spas, and medi-spas. Estheticians are trained in the cosmetic treatment of the skin. They perform various cosmetic procedures including facials, body treatments and waxing. .....

What an Esthetician Can Do for Your Skin:

  • Give facial treatments, which may include deep cleansing exfoliation, and facial massage.
  • Extract, or cleanse out, non-inflamed pore blockages and blackheads.
  • Advise on the proper care of your skin.
  • Recommend appropriate skin care products for your skin type, including over-the-counter acne treatments. They will typically have these products available for you to buy and take home on the day of your service.
  • Perform certain specialty treatments, like microdermabrasion and light chemical peels (in most states)."  http://acne.about.com/od/diagnosisofacne/f/whatisesthetics.htm
So apparently it's a lot more than what I thought and after reading up online about it I don't know if it even has to do with what I thought at all.   Whoops! I may have to speak to someone about that soon, haha.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you will make it into college. I don't know about esthetics but you would be a great nail tech. LOVE your mani. I love short nails. Your application is great.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love the look of longer nails but it's just not feasible for me. On the rare occasion my nails actually get decently long there is usually at least 2 that have to break/peel/tear, or are in need of serious shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some states, you have to be an esthetician to apply makeup, even at a makeup counter. It's a great thing to learn, I started it years ago and due to life circumstances, never finished. But I sure did enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about here in Oregon but I know the girls at the shop off to do make-up so I may as well learn it too. Besides, if this does take off and becomes a solid career It'll be nice to already have that aspect taken care of. ^^

    ReplyDelete